University of Minnesota
Main navigation |
- August 2007-present, University of Minnesota, Associate Professor.
- January 2009-December 2011, U. S. Census Advisory Committee.
- Fall 2007-present, National Bureau of Economic Research, Research Associate.
- May 2006-present, Member, Conference on Research in Income and Wealth.
- July 2002-July 2007, University of Chicago, Graduate School of Business, Associate Professor of Economics and Statistics.
- Fall 2001-Winter 2002, Northwestern University, Center for the Study of Industrial Organization, Visitor.
- July 1998-July 2002, University of Chicago, Graduate School of Business, Assistant Professor of Economics and Statistics.
- Fall 1994 and 1995, University of Michigan, Department of Economics, Adjunct Lecturer.
- 1990-1992, Federal Reserve Board of New York, Assistant Economist.
- August, 1998, Ph.D. in Economics, University of Michigan.
- December, 1989, B.A. in Economics, summa cum laude, University of Pennsylvania.
- Editor, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 2009 - present
- Associate Editor, Journal of Industrial Economics
Honors and Fellowships
- Griliches Fellow (NBER National Fellow), 2002-2003.
- Centel Foundation/Robert P. Ruess Scholar, 1999-2000.
- Alfred P. Sloan Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, 1996-1997.
- Rackham (U-M Graduate School) Predoctoral Fellowship, 1996-1997.
- Regents (U-M Graduate School) Fellowship, 1992-1994.
- "Measuring Aggregate Productivity Growth Using Plant-Level Data,'' (with James Levinsohn), forthcoming, RAND Journal of Economics.
- "Estimating Lost Output from Allocative Inefficiency, with Application to Chile and Firing Costs," (with Jagadeesh Sivadasan), forthcoming, Review of Economics and Statistics.
- "The Impact of Plant-Level Resource Reallocations and Technical Progress on U.S. Macroeconomic Growth," (with Kirk White), Review of Economic Dynamics, January, 2011.
- "A Control Function Approach to Endogeneity in Consumer Choice Models," (with Kenneth Train), Journal of Marketing Research, February 2010, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 3-13.
- The Consumer Gains from Direct Broadcast Satellites and the Competition with Cable TV," (with Austan Goolsbee), Econometrica, March, 2004, Vol. 72, No. 2, pp.351-381.
- "Estimating Production Functions Using Inputs to Control for Unobservables," (with James Levinsohn), Review of Economic Studies, April 2003, Vol. 70(2), No. 243, pp. 317-342.
- "Quantifying the Benefits of New Products: The Case of the Minivan," Journal of Political Economy, 110:705-729, 2002.
- "Production Function Estimation in Stata Using Inputs to Control for Unobservables," (with James Levinsohn and Brian Poi), accompanies levpet.do stata procedure, Stata Journal, 2004, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp.113-123.
- "Trade and Welfare in Motion Pictures," (with Fernando Ferreira and Joel Waldfogel).
- "Plant-level Productivity and Imputation of Missing Data in U.S. Census Manufacturing Data," (with Jerome Reiter and Kirk White).
- "A New Control Function Approach for Non-Parametric Regressions with Endogenous Variables," (with Kyoo il Kim).
- "Identification and Estimation in Discrete Choice Demand Models when Endogenous Variables Interact with the Error," (with Amit Gandhi and Kyoo-il Kim).
- "The Impact of Research and Development on Quality, Productivity and Welfare," (with Frederic Warzynski).
- "Explaining Reallocation's Apparent Negative Contribution to Growth," (with Mitsukuni Nishida and Sašo Polanec).
- "Control Function Corrections for Omitted Attributes in Differentiated Product Models," (with Kyoo il Kim).
- "Tests for Price Endogeneity in Differentiated Product Models," (with Kyoo il Kim).
- "On the Micro-Foundations of Productivity Growth," (with James Levinsohn).
- "When Industries Become More Productive, Do Firms?: Investigating Productivity Dynamics," (with James Levinsohn).
- American Economic Association Meetings, 2001-2005, 2007, 2010, 2012
- Bates White Conference
- Belgian National Bank
- Boston College
- Bureau of Economic Analysis
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Columbia University
- Cornell University
- Cowles Conference, 2000, 2008, 2010
- CEPR Conference on Applied Industrial Organization, 2000, 2003
- Dartmouth College
- Department of Justice
- Duke University
- Econometric Society World Congress, 2005
- European Econometric Association, 2006, 2007
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
- Federal Reserve Bank of New York
- Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
- Federal Reserve Board
- Federal Trade Commission
- Florida State University
- George Washington University
- Harvard University
- Handbook of Econometrics, Volume 6 Conference, 2001, Discussant
- Indiana University
- Inter-American Development Bank
- International Industrial Organization Conference 2003-2004, 2007-2009
- Iowa State University
- Johns Hopkins University
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- London School of Economics
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Mannheim University
- Michigan State University
- Minnesota Workshop in Macroeconomic Theory 2008
- Montana State University
- Midwest Econometrics Group Meeting, 2004, 2010
- National Cable Television Association Convention, 2001
- NBER Conference on Research in Income and Wealth, 2000, 2008
- NBER Econometrics of Price and Product Competition, 1999
- NBER Industrial Organization Meeting, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2006
- NBER Industrial Organization Meeting, 1999, 2001, 2008 Discussant
NBER Productivity Meeting, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008
- NBER Productivity Meeting, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008 Discussant
- New York University
- Northeastern University
- Northwestern University
- Oakland University
- Pennsylvania State University
- Princeton University
- Purdue University
- SITE Conference, 2000, 2008
- Society for Economic Dynamics Conference, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
- Stanford University
- Statistics Canada
- Syracuse University
- Texas A & M University
- Tinbergen Institute
- Tufts University
- University of Aarhus
- University of British Columbia
- University of California Berkeley
- University of California Los Angeles
- University of California San Diego
- University of Chicago
- University of Groningen
- University of Illinois (Urbana Champaign)
- University of Maryland
- University of Michigan
- University of Minnesota
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Rochester
- University of Southern California
- University of Toronto
- University of Virginia
- University of Washington
- University of Wisconsin
- Washington University
- Wesleyan University
- Yale University
- World Bank
- ZEW Conference on Information and Communication Technologies, 2001
- American Economic Review
- Economic Inquiry
- Economic Letters
- Economic Journal
- Economic Theory
- European Economic Review
- Industrial Relations
- International Economic Review
- International Journal of Industrial Organization
- Journal of Business
- Journal of Business and Economic Statistics
- Journal of Industrial Economics
- Journal of International Economics
Journal of Law and Economics
- Journal of Economics and Management Strategy
- Journal of Economic Literature
- Journal of the European Economic Association
- Journal of Political Economy
- National Science Foundation
- Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance
- RAND Journal of Economics
- Review of Economics and Statistics
- Review of Economic Studies
- Review of Industrial Organization
- Social Sciences and Humanities Canada
October 9, 2012